Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Love my Job!!

Have you ever had one of those days when it felt like the rug was pulled out from under you? How about the wind knocked out of you?

Ok I know I have no excuse, however I have been feeling like this for a few days or so now. See the way things work in the daycare industry are very much up and down. That is we in the industry are subject to the whims of the parents of the children in our care. We are subject to idiotic demands, long hours, absurd requests, low pay and little to no respect.

 But hey who's complaining? Surely not me!!

 Nope I still love my job, it gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I am helping to mold our future generation....specially when I know that the tattooed, over pierced, low slung jean and thong wearing mom who has little to do with it all. I honestly think the parents wouldn't even be able to come close to teaching let alone guiding a child through the intricacies of toilet training, feeding one self or even tieing shoes!  Heaven help them when the child is old enough to attend pre-school, let alone school for that matter. 

What I am getting at here is that I SEE too many children with little to no self assurance from the parents. I honestly work my tush off each and every day helping these children learn their basic skills. By basic I mean quite literally basic...walking, talking, eating, toileting, respect for others and self, coping skills, and more.  It is sad and quite appalling to see so many parents that are more into them selves and going out, than they are their children. It is not unheard of  to see a child in daycare from 6am all the way until 5pm. Yes it's a terribly long day for them, I get the fact that parents have to work, but don't they have to take responsibility too? They chose to bring this child into the world, one would think that they want to spend as much time as possible with their child.

So when I ask about the wind being knocked out of you...I guess for me I am saying that as each day comes and goes I shouldn't be surprised any more by what the latest demand is from the mom who is obviously sporting a new pair of jeans that are obviously 2 sizes too small for them. Not to ask the mom why is it that she can go out almost every night of the week, spend money on a designer purse, and drink and eat until she's had her fill. Not to worry if their child actually ate something healthy, slept in a bed  at all the night before, or even got into that big thing in the bathroom that is called a tub!

  Yes, that's my opinion, yes I can say this openly, yes I am MOM in every sense of the word!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wendy Wendy Wendy!!! You hit the nail on the head! That's all I'll say...you hit the nail on the head. NO ONE except a privider would get this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete